Saturday 28 April 2012

Koi-Koi playing, Noodle eating, Asahi* drinking nights

I mentioned in a earlier post that my friend and I played a few sessions of Koi-Koi whilst en vacance in Korea and Japan.  Now, even though there was no prize or shiny trophy to be had we still kept score.  To quote Vince Lombardi 'If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score'?

So here are the round by round scores with a little commentary on what I can recollect! My score is listed first.

All games were played with Korean decks and accompanied by cans of various brands of domestic beer.  *Asahi, Suntory, Cass, Kirin, Sapporo.

Round 1, Seoul, Korea
29 September 2011
11-9 Won

A very low scoring game.  We played for about a hour (this became the agreed time limit for our games).  Pretty much Kasu, Tane and Tanzaku all the way.

Round 2, Osaka, Japan
2 October 2011
19-6 Won

Fairly low scoring once again, the cards did not fall favourably for either player.

Round 3, Osaka, Japan
3 October 2011
18-16 Won

Nip and tuck all the way but somehow I just held on! Phew!

Round 4, Osaka, Japan
6 October 2011
19-46 Lost

My first loss of the series and to this date (not that I keep an excel spreadsheet or anything) my biggest loss EVER against this particular friend.  I don't think I've seen so many Ame-Shiko's and Tsukimi/Hanami-zake's in one sitting.  He could do no wrong and I was never in it.  A late flurry from me made the score look a little more respectable.  I knew it could have been a lot worse.

Round 5, Yokohama, Japan
7 October 2011
42-11 Won

What a difference a day makes - just 24 hours!  The series moved on to Yokohama and I didn't have to wait long for revenge.  It was practically a mirror image of the night before. A tsukimi-zake took my friend into double figures at the death. Sugoi as they say in Japan.  I slept very well that night.

Round 6, Yokohama, Japan
8 October 2011
13-20 Lost

The high of the night before didn't last long, my friend took the trauma of the previous round well by restricting me to just 13 points, a very tense but enthralling game.  Honours (but not scores) even in Yokohama.

Round 7, Tokyo, Japan
11 October 2011
18-19 Lost

Tokyo isn't a happy hunting ground for me.  I'd previously played my friend at 9-ball and 8-ball on a couple of occasions and didn't do very well and as fate would have it the same thing would happen to me at Koi-Koi.  This ended up being the final round - much to my friends annoyance as he was more than aware he was down in points but like I told him it was just a few friendly games of cards.


Grand Total:
140-127

 










No comments:

Post a Comment